What is Digital Signage and its Future Trends?
Digital signage is a network of digital displays, panels, and/or interactive touch-screen monitors that relay digital content to viewing end-users. With digital signage, businesses can promote brand awareness, inform viewers of recent news, and advertise products.
In today’s digital world, most information is generated and transmitted through hardware mediums such as LCD, LED, or OLED display panels and media players. As the market for digital signage continues to grow rapidly every year, more businesses have come to realize the potential benefits in engaging with their customers through digital mediums. Interestingly enough, when comparing within each vertical, commercial verticals like retail, transportation, hospital, and banking are targeted for explosive growth in the next 5 years in the digital signage market (see Industry Trends graphic). The main reason for this projection is largely based on an increasing demand for digital signage in the public and commercial sectors. Other key factors include the cost-effectiveness and return on investment assurance. Digital signage on a global scale is obviously on a rise, with the majority of growth expected to be in North America, Europe, and APAC (see Digital Signage Market graphic).
According to the MarketsandMarkets forecast, the digital signage market was valued at 16.88 Billion USD in 2015 and is expected to reach 27.34 Billion USD by 2022, at a CAGR of 6.7% during the forecast period.
Moreover, a large number of new and emerging technological innovations such as interactive touch technologies - resistive, PCAP, SAW, and IR - offer end-users a completely different experience compared to static display panels. When digital signage first started to appear on the market, most of the information being displayed was static, relying on a “push content strategy” which is usually managed through a CMS (Content Management System). However, as the digital signage market continues to grow, end-users are being exposed to a variety of digital signage platforms that are segmented into kiosks, menu boards, billboards, and signboards - some of which now have touch sensor capabilities that can communicate through real-time data back and forth.
According to the MarketsandMarkets forecast, “Kiosk digital signage held the largest share of the global market for products in 2015, while the market for signboards is expected to grow at the highest rate during the forecast period.” Thus, many OEMs/ODMs that manufacture display panels are now focusing on digital signage solutions. After all, the market for digital signage is expected to grow and lead until 2022. Another statistic worth mentioning here is how the a compete digital signage solution is also offered through hardware, software, and service platforms. In the MarketsandMarkets forecast, analysts have also pointed out that “hardware offerings held the largest share of the global market in 2015 and are expected to dominate the market till 2022. The market for software offerings is expected to grow at the highest rate during the forecast period.” This creates a huge growth opportunity for hardware manufacturers that have existing product-offerings for digital signage to focus on developing and commercializing their product lines into commercial verticals as mentioned earlier.
Since hardware is expected to dominate the digital signage market till 2022, here is a checklist to follow for a successful digital signage solution that is geared to a faster time to market:
- Hardware - Also known as the physical component. Digital signage hardware should include panels with or without touch sensors, commercial or industrial IP-rated panel displays (outdoor / rugged environments), cooling systems, media players, network components, mounts,and enclosures.
- Software - Digital signage should come with pre-loaded content, device management system(s), and playback software on media players.
- Connectivity - In the 21st century, it is important for digital signage to connect back to the CMS/CDS - whether hard line, Wi-Fi, mobile technologies or into a public /private cloud service provider;
- Installation - The entire installation process, from site surveys through the final installation, should be included with the digital signage.
- Content - The biggest ongoing cost of the network is the continuous creation of fresh content to keep the network accurate, updated and relevant. This portion can be managed by a marketing/advertising agency who understands the importance of impression and audience engagement through digital signage displays.
- Procurement - End customers need reliable channels to be able to purchase various parts of digital signage network.
- Service - In the case that the digital signage solution experiences a hardware failure which cannot be resolved remotely, there should be a solid on-site support and repair plan available to reduce costly downtime events.
Just the Right Touch
Premio’s touch panel solutions provide customers with a quick Time-to-Market advantage particularly in the interactive display business. Our 5.400 sq. ft. controlled clean production floor in our Los Angeles California facility, backed by our design and manufacturing capabilities, makes us a one-stop-shop and premier solution provider for all your digital signage solutions and touch panel needs.
Premio takes pride in designing, producing, and distributing some of the most innovative and groundbreaking digital signage products in the world for many different industry sectors. With technology continuing to evolve at an increasingly rapid rate, digital signage has become more of a necessity rather than a luxury. We don’t realize how prevalent it is in day-to-day life because it has slowly become the norm. You can walk into any big business, restaurant, facility or factory now and come into contact with cunning digital signage displays because it has become such a critical information provider for businesses in all industries. As it continues to grow, more businesses and facilities must keep up.
This is where Premio comes in. We specialize in creating products that will benefit every aspect within not only the healthcare industry, but many other big business enterprises as well. Our interactive digital signage products, touch displays, touch screen kiosks, industrial monitors and all other digital signage displays are simple to use and are meticulously designed to increase productivity and reduce stress.
Our Premio team is here to serve as your loyal and trusted OEM & ODM manufacturer every step of the way. We work with you in order to find the perfect solution and to provide you with nothing but the most high-quality, simple and interactive digital signage products for your business.
Have a question or proof-of-concept about digital signage? Contact us today and one of our digital signage specialists will respond immediately!