Key Podcast Takeaways:
- Premio recognizes the need to support software advancements with hardware strategies, providing the rugged, high-performance systems that enable reliable deployment in the most severe physical settings.
- Premio’s leadership in rugged edge system design and manufacture opens a new realm of IoT integration and automation capabilities and powers a real transformation in how industrial businesses operate and compete.
- Edge computing runs on modern hardware that is small, rugged, powerful, and energy efficient.
- Premio has a distinct portfolio of engineering design and manufacturing scale that focuses on combining the most innovative technology enablers that benefits edge computing
- And last but not least, an in-depth thought leadership discussion about the top 10 hardware requirements as edge computing continues to grows. Listen to the podcast for more information about the most important hardware requirements for ruggedized computing designs.
No edge computing survival guide is complete without knowing which hardware requirements are most essential for edge computing solutions to handle massive workloads. To provide those top standards on which edge computing professionals can rely, Dustin Seetoo, Director of Product Marketing, and Kenneth Hau, Business Development for Premio, stopped by the Rugged Edge Survival Guide with 10 hardware needs for any edge deployment.
The big question is why hardware standards are so important for today’s edge computing needs. “Hardware and software have always been their own schools of thought,” Seetoo said. “If you talk to anyone in those fields, they are adamant about why it’s so important. But we’re starting to see this marrying of a relationship, and I think hardware and software will always be paired together. No matter what anyone says, I’m a true believer that hardware and software are always working together.”
Today’s sophisticated algorithm, machine-learning software is written to run on efficiently purpose-built hardware, so getting the hardware right is critical.
“A lot of specialized software that our customers use is based on specialized needs depending on whatever industry and field they’re in,” Hau said. “However, a lot of this software – they need ruggedized hardware to run on because of these specific needs.”
Some of the applications and products creating edge computing needs, like robotics, computer vision, intelligent transportation, smart surveillance and outdoor kiosks, require processing power close to these sensors. They are backed by a reliable computer running 24/7.
“Lots of times, you don’t have the ability to send a technician out there to repair anything,” Seetoo said.
Throughout the podcast, Seetoo and Hau provided 10 hardware essentials for successful edge computing implementation. The first recommendation on the list was that an edge computer should feature a fan-less design.
“The fan-less design is extending the reliability of the product,” Seetoo said. The design allows more room for processing power and data to create a computing solution that can interact with IoT sensors.
So, What Are Some Popular Computer Hardware Needs For Edge Computing?
For 30+ Years Premio has focused its capabilities on the engineering and manufacturing of industrial computing solutions. Especially as data becomes even more valuable in the age of automation and intelligence, computing solutions will evolve to meet demands in new, challenging environments. Below are some of the most important hardware requirements from Premio and our hardware engineering team. For more information about each of these requirements, read our past blog article here.
- #1 Edge Computers Must Be Rugged And Fanless
- #2 Edge Computers Must Meet Performance Requirements
- #3 Edge Computers Must Be Compact And Have Versatile Mounting Options
- #4 Edge PCs Must Be Equipped With Sufficient Rugged Storage
- #5 Rugged Edge Computers Must Have Rich I/O
- #6 Edge Computers Need Rich Wired And Wireless Connectivity Options
- #7 Edge Computing Hardware Must Have A Wide Power Range
- #8 Edge Computers Must Be Secure
- #9 Edge Computers Need To Support Performance Accelerators For Real-Time Processing
- #10 Edge Computers Must Be Certified To Pass Telemetry To The Cloud