Connecting The "Near Edge" and "Far Edge"
- Relying solely on the Cloud for data processing and storage is becoming less feasible in terms of speed, cost, and security due to the rapid growth in IoT deployments and the amount of data that is being generated.
- Edge computing paired with 5G connectivity drives the synergy for new business models and intelligence with new levels of speed and accuracy
- Edge computing enables AI inferencing at the edge and utilizes the cloud native resources like virtualization for better workload consolidation
Premio’s rugged edge computers provides processing power and enables connectivity to drive real time actionable insights at the edge even under remote, harsh environments.
Technology Driver #1 Cloud computing
Cloud computing has proven to be a robust, centralized platform that delivers resources such as compute power and storage over the internet and can be shared across enterprises and applications. This infrastructure as a service model grants access to compute power and storage without having to invest heavily in the actual infrastructure and provides flexibility to easily scale up and down when needed. As more cloud native resources virtualize new edge applications within containers even closer to data generation, new levels of intelligence and real-time actions can provide enormous benefits. Dedicated hardware such as rugged edge computers and 5G access servers will be decentralized away from data centers in order to enable machine learning and inferencing.
Technology Driver #2 5G: Ultra-Reliable Low Latency Communications
5G provides ultra-reliable low latency communications with 20x faster speed compared to 4G LTE with high band spectrum in mm wave. 5G opens opportunities for new kinds of applications such as robotics and autonomous vehicles which make critical decisions in split seconds.
Key pillars of 5G: ultra-reliable low latency communications.
- Millisecond latency with 99.999% reliability enables new applications such as robotics and Autonomous vehicle.
- Enhanced mobile broadband provides enhanced gigabit speeds
- Massive machine type communications that are going to take IIoT to the next level.
Technology Driver #3 AI
AI, 5G, and edge computing are taking the digital transformation to the next level by creating new opportunities across various industries. The advancement in the software algorithms is driving the demand for next generation of hardware to deliver compute power and performance acceleration in real-time
Key Driving factors:
- Advancement in semiconductor technology to support machine learning algorithms from multi core CPU, GPU, to TPU.
- Computing architectures such as X86 platform and dedicated hardware accelerators enable data manipulation and model training in the cloud to build out deep neural networks for smarter applications.
- PCIe 4.0 doubles transfer speed comparing to previous generation, opening up even faster I/O throughput between hardware architectures.
- Symbiotic relationship between open-source software and the need for advanced hardware.
How Does Premio Fit Into the Eco System
With the Cloud, 5G, and AI technologies converging together at the edge, this opens the door for new workloads such as manufacturing automation, autonomous driving, and even drone delivery. Edge computing further enables compute power, data processing, and data storage right where the data is being generated. This significantly reduces latency and bandwidth requirements and makes hyperautomation possible for a variety of industries.
Edge AI deployments require software algorithms to provide the flexibility as well as purpose-built hardware in order to drive reliable compute power and performance acceleration in harshest mission-critical environments. Premio’s 5G ready AI Edge Inference Computer brings data center performance out to the edge by offering the latest technologies in compute, storage, and connectivity with system-level ruggedization. Premio’s rugged edge computers are tested and verified to operate under extreme environmental conditions that require wide-temperature, shock, vibration, and even wide-power support. Contact us today to speak with our hardware experts about selecting a computing solution to meet your deployment needs.